The Aadhaar card has become an essential identity document for Indians of all ages, including children. In 2018, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) introduced Blue Aadhaar, a unique Aadhaar card for children under the age of five.
Blue Aadhaar cards are blue in color and have several advantages for children. For example, they make it easier for children to access government welfare programs, such as the midday meal scheme. Blue Aadhaar cards are also becoming increasingly mandatory for school admissions.
One of the key features of Blue Aadhaar is that children under five years of age are not required to provide biometric data, such as fingerprints and iris scans. Instead, their UID is processed based on demographic information and a facial image linked to their parents’ UID. However, children must update their biometric information at the ages of 5 and 15.
Parents can apply for a Blue Aadhaar card for their newborn child using either a birth certificate or a hospital discharge slip.
Here are some of the key benefits of Blue Aadhaar:
- Simplified access to government welfare programs: Blue Aadhaar cards make it easier for children to access government welfare programs, such as the midday meal scheme, scholarships, and healthcare benefits.
- Easier school admissions: Many schools are now mandating the presentation of Blue Aadhaar cards during the admission process.
- Proof of identity and address: Blue Aadhaar cards can be used as proof of identity and address for children. This can be useful for opening a bank account, applying for a passport, or obtaining a mobile SIM card.
Overall, Blue Aadhaar is a beneficial program that can help children in India access essential services and benefits.
How to apply online?
- Visit the UIDAI website at uidai.gov.in.
- Choose the option for Aadhaar card registration.
- Fill in the child’s name, the parent/guardian’s phone number, and other essential information.
- Select the appointment option for Aadhaar card registration.
- Locate the nearest enrollment centre and schedule an appointment.
- Attend the Aadhaar centre with your Aadhaar, the child’s date of birth certificate, reference number, etc.
- Complete the necessary formalities at the centre.
- Receive an acknowledgement number, which can be used for tracking the status of the application.